skorpion sport speedo knob removal

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

skorpion sport speedo knob removal

Postby Petrolhead » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi folks, can anyone give me a tip on how to remove the speedo trip reset knob, as I want to take my speedo out of its case to swap
over the face from my mph one to the kmh one, making it legal on UK roads.
Petrolhead

Re: skorpion sport speedo knob removal

Postby Nils D » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 pm

You have to cut or saw it of. At least on my 96 Traveller. It's glued or something to the axis, so it can't be used again. Afterwards you have to make a new knob that you can put in place after you have assembled the speedometer.
Skorpion Traveller 96
Nils D

Postby Petrolhead » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks Nils D, that's a good help. I think i'll cut it in half with a dremel cutting disc. Cheers :D
Petrolhead

Postby Petrolhead » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Just an update on this, the speedo trip knob does come off the steel shaft its glued onto, with some very careful squarely levering along the axis of the shaft. Its up to you if you want to try it :!: but its worked for me no problem. The risk is as always that you break the shaft off but it was Ok this time for me.
Petrolhead

Postby Petrolhead » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:21 am

Just an update on the knob, it didn't go well with removing the knob from the other speedo, had to cut it off :cry: but still had the other one so was able to fit the mph speedo on the bike to replace the Kph one with the knob cut off. Just in case anyone thinks its easy, found out its not the case....
Petrolhead

Postby mincehead » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 am

You obviously didn`t lever it squarely, they DO come off but you really need a device like a small claw hammer. I made a piece of steel with a slot that fitted around the shaft, then cut a slot in a piece of steel plate to lever against. By then levering with two screwdrivers at once the plastic could be `persuaded` off. I replaced the nasty thing with a piece of turned and knurled alloy bar, drilled and tapped for a grub / pinch screw.
mincehead

Postby Petrolhead » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 am

Yes, it is nasty thing, your mod sounds good. I stand corrected on that, do not want to misguide folk.

Looks like we have to overcome the failures in the build quality, wiring comes to mind with mine even though its nearly new.
Petrolhead

Return to 660 cc