Skorpion 660 mods

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion 660 mods

Postby Petrolhead » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 am

Just recently, I have been getting the Skorp ready for summer and wanted to make it sound more like a big single without being too loud. Fitted this Scorpion titanium end can with a home made link pipe. The flange was laser cut from 10mm stainless, silver soldered inside to the pipe and the link pipe was made to replicate the original length of the exhaust to its outlet.

DSCN1124.JPG

Fitted a pair of VFR750 handlebars which fitted being 41mm diameter , but the choke needed to be resited to the carb using the XT600 unit previously covered on here.

DSCN1126.JPG

It seems to run better, revving cleaner and idling better, I wound the mixture screw out to 7 turns.......quiet pleased now, all we need is a good spring to ride it a lot :D

DSCN1123.JPG
Petrolhead

Re: Skorpion 660 mods

Postby Hajok » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 am

Nice job!

I would definitely keep the original parts on a shelf, so you could (could you?) sell this bike as an immaculate classic... This bike is like new!

Hopefully spring is coming. I would kill for taking my bike for a spin on your local roads: the isles seem to be the natural habitat for Skorpions.
Read my rambling at MuZ ManX
Hajok

Postby Petrolhead » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Yes, I have kept all the original parts and nothing has been butchered to do it. Only 2430 Km on the clock, its one of the Japanese imports new in 2011.

I am looking forward to riding it along the A82 over heights of Glencoe on the mainland and there's also the ride to Ullapool via Glenshiel - sheer bliss of 200 miles with mountains and lochs.

Hajok, your blog is very intriguing :D
Petrolhead

Postby Dicer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Petrolhead wrote:It seems to run better, revving cleaner and idling better, I wound the mixture screw out to 7 turns.......quiet pleased now, all we need is a good spring to ride it a lot :D

Be careful with that. I wound out my mixture screw a couple more turns in order to attempt to cure a low rev "surging" or "jerky power delivery". Anyway, after a short ride to check it out, I couldn't get the bike to start at all without choke. Then, after some more test rides, I discovered (with a mirror) that the slow running mixture screw had fallen right out. :cry:

Must have been my lucky day... I found it hidden underneath the starter. No spring though. I guess that bounced right out, if there ever was one. The bike is running a bit better now and I've fitted some PVC tube over the mixture spigot to catch the screw if it should decide to fall out again.
Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby Petrolhead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks for the tip, I will make up a cap to do the same. I have never had a big single before, I guess they all vibrate much more than the twins/fours. Looking forward to riding it :D
Petrolhead

Postby mincehead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 am

The Yamaha 5 valve motors are VERY smooth for a single to be honest, you should try the old Rotax lumps. :wink:
mincehead

Return to 660 cc