Still no rearsets!/?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Still no rearsets!/?

Postby edfmaniac » Mon May 09, 2016 1:11 pm

Well I thought I had found a bolt on solution to our rearset problem. After measuring the bolt centers on the stock foot rests without a whole lot of precision, I came to the conclusion that they were 70mm apart. Surely they aren't something like 69 or 71. So I set about looking for bikes that are currently having aftermarket rear sets made that are 70mm and have somewhat similar foot peg position in relation to the mounting bolts. After a few days of looking around, I found the RVF400 and a manufacturer making decent rearsets for it. I determined by sight and reckoning that the stock foot peg position could be closely replicated by switching the multi position mounting plates on the aftermarket units to the opposite side of the bike, upside down. Turns out they are about an inch further back. Pretty darn close. BUT.........Sure enough, MZ has a weird bolt spacing on the bike frame, just far enough short of 70mm that I can't get the bolt to thread in. It has to be 69mm. :evil: So no direct bolt on. I'm probably going to have to drill the threads out and just use the supplied nut to back up the bolt on the inside of the frame. They are pretty decent looking sets though and are a lot less expensive than the top of the line units.

http://www.sesraceproducts.com/adjustab ... 4-47-p.asp

adjustable-rearsets-honda-vfr-rvf400-nc30-nc35.-rsh014.-47-p.jpg
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Re: Still no rearsets!/?

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm

mz i think did this on purpose,,

my RT125 clutch and brake levers fit only the rt125 no other bike other than mz fit
in europe there are many bikes that use them
but unless i am missing something you get to pay freight from europe every time it falls over
cause it always seems to break a lever..
(lots of testing went into selecting a set of bars that can do this every time it falls over)

and chain sprockets same story nothing fits
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby edfmaniac » Mon May 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Upon further examination, MZ is off the hook. The stock holes are 70mm apart. The numbskulls at SES gave me the wrong information on the spacing for the RVF400 or their product is manufactured with a pretty major flaw. Either way I'm forced to elongate the holes in the frame a millimeter or two. :|
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby den » Sun May 15, 2016 5:26 am

edfmaniac wrote:Upon further examination, MZ is off the hook. The stock holes are 70mm apart. The numbskulls at SES gave me the wrong information on the spacing for the RVF400 or their product is manufactured with a pretty major flaw. Either way I'm forced to elongate the holes in the frame a millimeter or two. :|

If your going to do that then heres a tip,,fill the hole with some chemical metal first , then drill , that way the drill bit will not slip into the original hole,,also , if you want to hide what you have done , countersink the hole and use countersunk hex head b
bolt?
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby edfmaniac » Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 pm

I drilled out the threads on both holes to see if that would give me enough cleanance. Not quite. Then I went to the next bit up and redrilled the bottom hole only. Perfect. Other than the nut on the back side of the mounting tabs on the frame, you can't tell that they weren't made for the bike. New problem though. The spacing for the mounting bolts on the Nissin pump from the Honda is different so I'll need one of those to drive the rear brake caliper.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Return to 660 cc