Funny tacho readings

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Funny tacho readings

Postby Petrolhead » Mon May 23, 2016 3:27 pm

My tacho seems to have a life of its own, sometimes quite stable other times jumping wildly......is this a really a problem somewhere on here David Thompson said relay 30 could cause unstable connections to the CDI, hence the tacho feed voltage being interrupted/intermittent?

I have two tacho's and they both jump so they can't be both the problem or can they? I have ordered a wiring diagram from ebay.uk , failing that I am thinking of going with a mechanical driven one but its expensive.

Anyone got a source in the Uk of good aftermarket relays?
Petrolhead

Re: Funny tacho readings

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon May 23, 2016 7:39 pm

loose wires and connections
dave

put a gps on it and know how fast its really going
and forget the tac
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Petrolhead » Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 am

Dave, I replaced the relay after finding your old posts 8) on here, it was no problem doing it. Seems like its a vibration issue with the tacho cos if you remove it from the housing to isolate it from vibrations, then plug it in, it reads smoothly but jumps as soon as it is bolted up. I'll try a bit of silicone around the plug to hold it firm ( possibly loose tacho plug contacts) but if it doesn't work I think i'll go with the SR500 mechanical tach option , I have to have all my bikes just right :D

Thanks for your reply and info :wink:
Petrolhead

Postby Petrolhead » Fri May 27, 2016 6:13 am

Just if anyone is experiencing this problem, I have been able to sort it out almost perfectly so the tacho reads smoothly over 98% of the rev range. I noticed that at certain engine revs 4-5k the vibration harmonics caused the whole instrument console to vibrate up and down and the tacho protested by waving its needle wildly.

Using Honda battery box rubbers and made up longer inner sleeves from 10mm heating oil pipe , the binnacle is properly isolated from engine vibes now, I also made up a small clamp to hold the tacho power signal feed plug firm to the tach, fastening it to the right hand side lower tacho mount so that the plug was not vibrating around its socket. I also used added more cushioning rubbers to the instrument to bracket joint.

That along with a new main supply relay also isolated from the frame with a rubber mount, means that the engine runs good and the tacho reads fine with only a momentary waver around the 5.5K mark.
Petrolhead

Postby Nils D » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:53 pm

I've experienced the same problem with my tachometer.
I've had it for service a few times, I've had the electronics replaced - still it behaved in a more ore less hysterical manner. The only fix that has really worked is to have removed the bolts holding the dashboard.
Skorpion Traveller 96
Nils D

Postby Petrolhead » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 am

Just an update, Nils.....it read smoothly when on the side stand but after taking it for a run it was just as bad as ever. So I opted for a mechanical tacho from the SR500, using a XTZ660 drive and cable , I also transferred the needle from the MZ one to the SR500 tacho to make it look similar, the SR500 tacho has a black face and looks quite nice with the white face speedo
Attachments
DSCN1224.JPG
Petrolhead

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:16 am

looks nice
but hope you have a box of the watches in stock....
as the vibration will destroy them in short order
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Petrolhead » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes, the very thing that makes a single have appeal does that, I'm hopeful but not too hopefull :roll: :lol:
Petrolhead

Return to 660 cc