Baghira Ride Height part two

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira Ride Height part two

Postby starfield181 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:00 am

Having pondered on the issues of ride height on my newly purchased Baghira (see other post). I went back to look at the first one I saw and had a test ride on a couple of weeks ago as i didn't remember its seat height being quite such an issue. Sure enough even though this one is the Enduro config (21" front and 18" rear), the seat height is not as high and I can get both feet almost flat to the ground when sitting on it rather than tippy toe as on my current street moto version.To cut a long story short I bought the Enduro model and my garage is now graced by two Baghiras though probably not for long. Serves me right for going for the shiny one rather than the one that actually fitted!

Funny thing is I cannot see any obvious reason why one has a seat at least 1.5" higher than the other. I'll post some pictures in due course. The doglegs are the same length and with its bigger wheels you would think the Enduro would be taller - but not so! Any way I am going to persevere with both for the time being but two Baghiras is probably one more than I need so I expect the shiny one will finish up on Gumtree or worse still ebay at some point.

hey ho its only money.

PeterF
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Re: Baghira Ride Height part two

Postby rodge70 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:37 pm

is the enduro an hr version,non adjustable forks,if so there are quite a few differences between them,rear shock,swing arm etc
rodge70

Postby starfield181 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:55 am

Its a 2004 model and it does have the blue plastic adjusters on the top of the forks - same as my 2002 street moto Baghira. The obvious difference is the length of the tail section. On the later model this is quite short with the rear light exposed. On the earlier model its long enough to cover the top of the light unit.
Also the 2002 model does not have a tool box nor any obvious place to bolt one. I guess someone could have ground the bracket off?

Peter
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Postby starfield181 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:05 am

Happy bunny. I made and fitted a pair of 130mm centres dogbones for my Enduro bike and I can now get on, ride and get off with reasonable ease. Sitting on the bike both feet are now flat on the floor. Seat height is still 34.5" at lowest point at rest but I guess it sinks to around 32" with my weight on it. The pronounced slope on the seat is also much less apparent so you don't keep sliding towards the tank but its still not the most comfortable for long distances.

The height reduction meant the side stand was really too long but I swapped it for the stand on my street moto bike which was too short. Win-win, both bikes now have pretty much ideal side stand lengths. Given my success with the Enduro bike I may have a go at the SM as well since there has been zero interest to my adverts on Gumtree and Preloved. Having one of each could be pretty cool.
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:25 am

That`s good!
Does the steering feel much different? By lowering the back end you will have a slightly shallower head angle as a result.
breakwellmz

Postby starfield181 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 am

haven't got to ride it yet as we had visitors but my son took it for a ride and made no comment about the steering. he thought the brakes were good. He really wanted to ride the street moto model but it refused to start - sooted up plug which would stil not work after a thorough cleaning. Have now ordered a couple of replacements. Plug problem almost certainly caused by a seized choke cable meaning the chokce was not freeing properly. Now sorted
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Postby starfield181 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 am

Finally got to ride the modified bike and i cannot say I noticed any difference in handling but truthfully I am only a back lane potterer so not testing the steering to any great degree. At the time i was more interested in seeing the effects of the carb adjustments on the overrun popping and banging - see other post.

I plan to move the fork legs upwards through the yokes but first I need raise the handlebars. Not looking to drop it much, only 1/2" or so.

Not had one honest response to my Gumtree or Preloved ads for the Street Moto bike so I may well keep it anyway. I have obtained some more steel strip to make a set a of longer dogbones for this as well. I suspect that it will be more sensitive to the change than the Enduro bike.
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Return to 660 cc