Mystery wiring

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Mystery wiring

Postby fxaz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm

I have a new-to-me Skorpion Traveller that I am trying to sort through a wiring kludge that some unknown number of previous owners have created. I have managed to pull out and disconnect the aftermarket accessories and, with the help of the wiring diagrams and other documents I've found here am trying to get to an original starting point. The diagram shows a large battery lead from the positive post to the starter solenoid, which I have. It also shows a smaller black wire that goes from that post to the 7A fuse, which I don't see. In the area of the battery and the starter solenoid I have a grey connector that I haven't been able to find any matching end for, which is visible in the attached picture.

My initial questions are, since I am sure there will be more, what wire should I be looking for to go from the positive terminal and the fuse box, and what should that grey connector tie to?

And another unrelated question has to do with the tank. Is there any special trick to taking it off? It seems like this should be really simple. There are two bolts holding the tank to the horseshoe mount at the rear of the tank and a small plug type thing at the front. I expected that I could disconnect the tank at the rear and pull it back from the plug at the front but I am clearly missing something simple. What is the trick to removing the tank?

thanks for helping an old newby.

-Jim
Attachments
MZ_001.jpg
fxaz

Re: Mystery wiring

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm

do not unscrew it from the tank at the plastic but at the bottom of the big u piece of metal
removing the bolts in to the plastic is heading for trouble
getting the tank off is raise it at the back and wiggle it and curse a lot
what year is your traveller mine is a 97
i will see if i can take a good picture for you
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby fxaz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:04 pm

My Traveller is a 1999 model. I guess I will keep pulling and wiggling on the tank and see what happens.

Thanks,

-Jim
fxaz

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:05 am

Lots of cussing and squeeze the downward facing ears of the horseshoe shaped mount in towards each other. There is a slight taper to the mounts so lifting straight up without squeezing inward makes it hard to remove.

The connector that has nowhere to go was also on my Traveller. Don't remember what it was for but it must be factory.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby GordonH » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:08 pm

For removing the tank, take out the two bolts at the rear at the bracket. Grab the rear of the tank and lift it up being careful not to foul the petcock in the wiring as you lift. It is a tight fit but should come out/up easily. The rubber doololley at the front stays there as the tank is levered out. A little intimidating the first time.

Gordon
GordonH

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 pm

again the bolts in the plastic at rear of tank love to give you problems
the bracket at rear is best left on the tank and it removed at the next set of bolts
remember its hard to run a bike if you ruin the tank
dave

i have had the tank off 3 of these all of them were swelled up from the bad gas and a beast to remove
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby MZ in Oz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Sometimes the nut inserts in the tank spin and you cannot remove the screws, happened to my Tour.
Easy fix is to drill 2mm hole into tank in line with nutserts and screw in a self tapping screw to bite on
the insert. Problem fixed.
As to over coming the tightness of the tank in the rubbers, lubricate with a silicon
spray or rubber grease, no problem from there on.
Another bitch going on is about the tanks swelling from fuel. Yes, some people seem to have a problem,
my own experience has been no problem. Have run both my Skorps on 10 percent ethanol for many years
and there has been no tank swelling or fuel hose trouble. 100,0000+ miles on Tour and 40,000+ on the Sport.
MZ in Oz

Postby billr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:48 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Lots of cussing ...... hard to remove.

Ditto on the cussing and difficulty. I found that if I held the washers below the bolt heads with a pair of pliers, I was able to loosen the bolts and leave the mount on the frame. Lots of grease before reassembly and easy to get out next time.

edfmaniac wrote:The connector that has nowhere to go was also on my Traveller. Don't remember what it was for but it must be factory.

That is attached to an electronic valve on my Traveller. Hooked into the currently "non-existant" smog harness...(I have all that stuff in a box...JIC...)
It is a switched power line. I'm using it now for the power tap on my chain oiler.

Bill R.
billr

Return to 660 cc