I need a new Battery for my Skorp.

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

I need a new Battery for my Skorp.

Postby Crusty » Wed May 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi folks, I have inherited a lovely yellow Skorpion, it currently resides in the Isle of Man.
I'm going over for the TT and the Skorp will be my ride while there but has a dead battery so I'm
looking for recommendations for a replacement to take with me.
Thanks in advance
Kev.
Crusty

Re: I need a new Battery for my Skorp.

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed May 10, 2017 5:03 pm

if its stored where someone can look at it often put a battery tender on it
there low power and keep it topped up with out drying it out
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Skorpion » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 am

I had good experience with Motobatt batterys, you can leave them for long periods unused and the still have a charge, plus no spillage. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MZ-Skorpion-T ... uLyhZ6tFzQ
Skorpion

Postby Crusty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 am

Thanks guys :D
Crusty

Postby seattleMZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm

In July I purchased a new battery for my Baghira. I went with a LiOn because I'm sick of having a dead battery every spring and refuse to let a battery sit charging unattended. The battery feels like it weighs next to nothing.

It now 09/06/2017 and the battery has had no issues.
Attachments
wps.JPG
seattleMZ

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

seattleMZ wrote:In July I purchased a new battery for my Baghira. I went with a LiOn because I'm sick of having a dead battery every spring and refuse to let a battery sit charging unattended. The battery feels like it weighs next to nothing.

If the bike has a slow turnover in cold weather, these batteries need a little time to warm themselves up and put out full voltage. I have a method that gets mine started every time. Crank for about 5 seconds and then let battery rest for about 30 seconds. It should get stronger and stronger as the battery warms up until the bike turns over fast enough to start. Should be fine the rest of the day. This only happens to my bike if it's below 60 and it's been sitting for more than a few days. Some manufacturers don't recommend using the starter to wake the battery up but I've had no issues. You could also just turn the headlight on a few minutes before you want to start the bike but it's quicker with the big amp draw of the starter.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 am

After a quick look it appears we would pay about twice your US price here in the UK.
I`ll stick with my old fashioned lead/acid technology i think. :)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8884&hilit=+battery
I would be very disappointed if my Mastiff took more than 5 seconds to start despite being 13 years old. ;-)
breakwellmz

Postby seattleMZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 pm

edfmaniac wrote:
seattleMZ wrote:In July I purchased a new battery for my Baghira. I went with a LiOn because I'm sick of having a dead battery every spring and refuse to let a battery sit charging unattended. The battery feels like it weighs next to nothing.

If the bike has a slow turnover in cold weather, these batteries need a little time to warm themselves up and put out full voltage. I have a method that gets mine started every time. Crank for about 5 seconds and then let battery rest for about 30 seconds. It should get stronger and stronger as the battery warms up until the bike turns over fast enough to start. Should be fine the rest of the day. This only happens to my bike if it's below 60 and it's been sitting for more than a few days. Some manufacturers don't recommend using the starter to wake the battery up but I've had no issues. You could also just turn the headlight on a few minutes before you want to start the bike but it's quicker with the big amp draw of the starter.

I will keep that in mind, but I will be parking it in the garage as soon as the rain returns. Big plans for some upgrades,

SS spokes, custom radiator covers, new digital instrument cluster, wireless speed o, tack. New reverse forks triple tree , general restoration of hoses, clamps wires paint, rusty bolts ect.
seattleMZ

Return to 660 cc