carburetor - black panther

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

carburetor - black panther

Postby black panther 2002 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:51 am

hey there guys. i am trying to get a bit more performance out of my bikes low/middle range as i tend not to go out on long high speed trips.
spoke to a guy at BSA and he suggested i try changing the front sprocket for one with 1 less tooth, so thats going on today. the other mod i wanted to try was to change the carb to a single slide carb and dynotune/jet it. which one would do the job and what is the minimum size i can go for to achieve something.
also what is the spec of the actual carbs on the bike at the moment
cheers
black panther 2002

Postby boysie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:38 am

Don't bother with changing the gearing, all that will do is make it seem gutless at even slower speeds..

Not sure you can do the single carb thing, most people fit dual 37/35mm Mikuni's

How old is your bike? you will get more power with a simple 102mm high comp piston and gas flowed head, cost: around £400 from a reputable tuning shop
boysie

Postby black panther 2002 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:06 pm

cheers, will have to save a bit first. its a 2002 model.
i'm also having real problems with my front brakes now. after having them bled they just lost all pressure. so my mechanic thinks the seals have gone on them. any ideas?
black panther 2002

Postby phlat65 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:26 pm

I dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket, made a noticeable difference, now wheelies in 2nd alot easier. ok at 70mph also.

do you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted yet? don't bother with the carbs unless you do, and the dual FCR set up it the way to go.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby black panther 2002 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:25 am

that sounds awesome. what is the top speed you get with dropping the one tooth. that is exactly what i am planning.

i do have an aftermarket exhaust on but its more a home made job, got it with the bike, really good though

got my mechanic to make the second carb come in a bit quicker (this is done by adjusting the centrally located top screw, he said that it would only work with an aftermarket pipe as well) gives the bike an extra bit of kick. cant wait to try it out properly once the brakes are sorted

by the way, when bleeding the brakes, did you find it takes really long to get it perfect.

thanks again for your help
black panther 2002

Postby phlat65 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:02 pm

i flush/bleed the front brakes on the enduro after every race.
use a 1 ft length of hose attached to the bleeder fitting, loop it up higher than the fitting, then back down below the fitting into a catch can. open the bleed fitting 1 turn, and slowly pump the brake lever while keeping the master full. no need to open/close the bleeder, just work the lever slowly. I have never had a problem doing it this way, and I bleed all costomers brakes this way too.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby roge-a-billy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:35 am

This makes me ask many things. Just had my right hand carb apart, my fault cause i caught bike of bike with boot as i got off and being a short arse all i could do was control its fall :oops: . No damage, just diaphram soaked in fuel so slide would not lift. I also thought center top screw would bring in 2nd carb sooner, but now not sure which way is the right way to do that. Also removed the rubber strip from top of air box. All feels more powerful but slightly snatchy as you open the throttle normal riding mode, rarely in this mode of course bike an total hoot to ride and already rubing away bottom of boots :twisted: . Bike came with Carbon Can Co zorst. Still runs good no popping on over run so not runing weak? Also the brakes are ok but is there anything out there thats better and bolts on or after market brakets to make other calipers fit. I know R6/R1 disks bolt on. Boysie what carb sizes are standard fit on baggi's ? I believe congat's are due to boysie, Fastest supermoto at thorney island (is that right?) Also thanks to Kiethcross for answering my pm so quick
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Return to 660 cc