Powroll no longer has MZ 125 exhaust kits....

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Powroll no longer has MZ 125 exhaust kits....

Postby EvanMac » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:49 pm

I called Powroll yesterday to order their kit for my bike and they informed me they will no longer carry the MZ stuff... They sold their last kit a week or so ago... Sucks. I wanted their kit because they were using an adjustable Super Trap muffler... :(

I ended up ordering a M4 kit... I hope it is not too loud :roll:

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/125_sm_(00-03).htm

Anyone else have the M4 kit yet? What do you think?
EvanMac

pipe

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:15 pm

when you get it post a picture of it there is not one shown on web site
i need to see if it look like it will fit the rt125 :-D
pipea
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby EvanMac » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:30 am

Well, SCRATCH THAT! M4 has also discontinued making pipes for the 125! Got an email from them yesterday.... order canceled.

Any Ideas? Anyone modified the existing pipe?

What is happening with MZ? Are they going out of business... or just the 125 business?
EvanMac

Postby Drew » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 am

Sorry to hear... When I called around looking for a 150cc kit I ran into the same issues.

What follows is my speculation: What has happened is that the market for MZ's were small to begin with. The Euro-to-US dollar exchange rate meant either MZ would have to take less profit on each bike, or sell at a higher price. Once a customer stares down $4k for a small-engine bike, many more options open up (e.g. Ninja 250, GS500, Rebel 250, etc.). Thus fewer and fewer of these bikes were sold.

The key ingredient to the Powroll kit was the cross-over pipe. The Supertrapp IDS2 is readily available anywhere, but you have to figure how to mate it to the header pipe. Not only do you have to get the diameters right, but also the angles to snake it around the frame. However, all is not lost, as I'm sure you could find a custom-exhaust shop that could help you out.

One option I haven't seen tried is to drill out the "peashooter" on the stock exhaust. If you were closer I'd say you can have mine to experiment on. I might still try it to see if it can be done cleanly (it's just sitting in the garage for now).

FWIW I have the Powroll kit.
Relax. You'll live longer.
Drew

Postby EvanMac » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info drew.... How do you like the kit? I have thought of doing what you said and just adapting a supertrap myself... I didn't know which exact model supertrap I should use though... is the number you listed the a family or a specifec model number... guess I will look at the supertrap site after I get this typed!

What do you think of the powroll kit? What did it do for your power? Did you rejet your carb? What size?

I ordered the cam and carb kit from K&S motorsports. I have hopes that it will fix most of my power problems... I just can't hold 6th gear!
EvanMac

Postby Drew » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:28 pm

I was in the same boat- couldn't hold sixth gear! Then I got the pipe, but the shop who "jetted" my bike didn't get it right. My first clue is that they didn't change the main jet! All they did was futz with the needle clip position. In sixth my speed would drop (I'd be going 63, then 62, then 59, then have to shift to fifth to pick up speed again!).

I've since taken out the carb and changed the jet from the 102.5 that was in it to a 107.5. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but off idle throttle response is a lot crisper. I'm also just learning this stuff, picking it up as I go (carb jetting, that is) so don't take my settings as gospel :-)

I have a future plan of replacing the VM24 with a TM28. I'm waiting on one more part (TM28 cable-choke assembly from LambrettaWorks) and I'll drop it in. Should be fun! Oh, and for the uninitiated, THIS IS NOT AN EASY SWAP!!! I had to have a machine shop fabricate an adapter to allow the TM28 to mate to the rubber flange on the motor side. I used a 32mm Triumph Bonnevile aluminum flange, and had it press-fitted to the TM28.

Back to your question, "how do you like the kit?". It's nice. The connector pipe is stainless, well put together, and the folks at Powroll included everything in the kit including thread locker and the hex tool to change the baffles. It has a good bark to it, a little on the loud side. I think I'm using 5 plates in the Supertrapp. I also believe an IDS2 is a specific muffler, judging by the Google-search I did.

Oh, and for exhausts, overseas are companies that support the MZ. One exhaust brand is "Sebring", but I don't know how to get it cheaply (shipping is a pain!). The MZ dealers overseas seem to have some sort of performance exhaust available, so it might be worth asking. I'll check in with my dealer (SFMoto) and see what they might have available.
Drew

Postby EvanMac » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:27 pm

Thanks again Drew!

I use SFMoto also. Mike is working on some parts for me now.... I don't know what I'm gonna do yet... still thinking...
EvanMac

Postby Drew » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 pm

So the 107.5 on the VM24 is leaning out at WFO. Talked to the mechanic I deal with, and he's going to get me a 110 and 112.5 main jet. I'll keep y'all posted...
Drew

Re: Powroll no longer has MZ 125 exhaust kits....

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:12 pm

bro with the changing of the crab and pipe help give the mz125 more pick up on 1,2,3 ignition....i actually have the same problem when shifting gear 6 it drops by itself....i really need help..iam currently livin in singapore do u guys think i could get all the parts here easier?
jeremy

Return to 125 cc