starter problem. i need help

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

starter problem. i need help

Postby abdulrahman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 pm

i am abdulrahman from melaka malaysia.i have mz 125cc year 2005 i just bought the bike one week ago , i face that which i can not start the bike so i change the battery at the same time, and i went all the way to my home around 10 minutes then i start the bike again but i could not only by ( push starter) and i went to mechanic near to my home and he tell me which i need to charge the buttery and he charge it for 8 hours then i use the bike day long then at night i use to open the light on ,immediately after 10 min the bike turn off and i went to anther mechanic and he said the same thing need to charge the buttery and i charge it for 2 hours which can take me to the home. and now the bike at home and i could not start what to do plz help me ???????? :(
abdulrahman

Re: starter problem. i need help

Postby iceman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:46 pm

IF your battery is GOOD it should hold a charge and your battery is charged by way of the motor to the voltage regulator.I've seen battery's go bad in a week and the one you put in could also be bad.get a known good battery if you can.

If the voltage regulator goes bad and doesn't pass along about 14 volts back to the battery it won't hold a charge because It's not getting enough volts to the battery.

So assuming you have a GOOD BATTERY I would look into the voltage regulator/rectifier.

The source in the motor is the stator....Stator produces voltage to the regulator that feeds voltage to the battery .

Feel free to correct this but as far as I know this is how things work on moto all over the world. :D :D :D Good luck

You can test the regulator with a digital meter at the battery with the motor running digital meter leads on the battery you should see about 13.5 volts and rev and hold the rpm's at 4000 and you should see slightly higher about 14
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 pm

check the voltage regulator
the rt125 has the same unit and it went bad on my bike the second day
i can post section from shop manual on checking it if you need the info
the v/r is mounted on the bottom of the air intake box (air filter) on my bike
also watch crossing streams or creeks in shallow water as there is a small hole in bottom of generator
cover on the left side also make sure the hole is open so hot air and any water can get out

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby abdulrahman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 pm

to iceman
but as i can see right now the buttery am using is 12v is that mean somthing or not?
abdulrahman

Postby iceman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 pm

ya,12 V is what they all are.(modern bikes anyway) Is it good ? If you can swap a battery that you know works from another bike if you then have no problem give your friend his battery back and get yourself a good (new) one.I say this because you can get one brand new and have it be bad.Not that likely but it does happen.It happened to me once.

If with a known GOOD battery you still have a problem test what the voltage regulator is returning back to the battery as in my first post.
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby iceman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

abdulrahman wrote:to iceman
but as i can see right now the buttery am using is 12v is that mean somthing or not?

A battery is like a tire as in it only last so long usually about 3 years some go bad in three months and some last 6 years.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby abdulrahman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:24 am

thx alot to all of u guys .......
u really help me
thanks again
( the problem am the only one have this bike at melaka city ) :mrgreen:
abdulrahman

Postby Fluffy_Dog_1018 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 am

Hello, do you have a multimeter? If yes follow ICEMANS advice to trouble shoot your problem(s) starting at the battery and working backwards thru the charging system... if no can you borrow one? Without a proper meter electrical problems can become an expensive dance of replacing parts that may not be broken! Hope this helps you out.
Somthin ain't right.
1982 Yamaha Maxim SOLD
2001 Suzuki SV650 SOLD
2001 Kawasaki Concours SOLD
1983 Honda CB650SC SOLD
1996 BMW R1100R
2001 MZ Traveller
Fluffy_Dog_1018

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

there a very nice bike once you work out the problems
mine is a 2002 rt125 and runs great and has 20,000 miles on it
do not give up on it it can be fixed
dave

32,186.8km = 20000 miles
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 125 cc