MZ 125 SM Diodes

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ 125 SM Diodes

Postby norbertcolon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Firstly, hello everyone.

Great to see a lots of peeps actually own an MZ. 25 years ago, i would have laughed at anyone who owned one!! (well, in those days it was a CZ) 25 years later, i own one myself!!! 8)

It is an MZ 125 SM 2004. I really wanted a DT125, but saw th SM on ebay, went to view, fell in love and bought it. What more can i say. You all know why i bought it!

The guy i bought it from, had not used it for 3 months or so. I used it occassionaly in the summer, and it has always been a bit of a pig to start (Which appears to be a bit of an issue with other owners of the SM!) and never liked ticking over on it's own, always needed some throttle at junctions or it would cut out.

Last time it was used, was August 2010. So i bought a new battery for it last week and tried to start it. Would the thing start...........no. A couple of times it wanted to, but the battery flattened itself before it did.

After a recharge, i tried again and noticed the overflow pipe from the carb dropping fuel on the floor. So stripped the carb down and cleaned. Nothing obviuos appeared wrong with the carb, so reassembled it. Still it would not start.

Now, i have no spark at the spark plug. Have read on this forum about the diodes, but i cannot find them in the wiring circuit. Can anyone give me a clue as to where they are. Particularly, diode 31 on the side stand circuit.

I have a feeling i may have shorted something out when changing the battery, because the brown fuse blew and had to be replaced. I have followd the manual as far as i can with a multimeter, but so far everything appears to be as it should be.

Also read about relay 19 and shorting out pins 2 & 3 to bypass the stand & in gear safety switch. Do the wires going to pins 2 & 3 need to be connected to the relay and jumpered while connected? I have noticed there are voltage differences on pins 2 & 3 when the ignition is off & on, so reluctant to jumper them until i know!!

PS. If i need electrical spares, coil, relay etc etc anyone know of a relaible UK supplier.

Many many thanks in advance.

Norbert C
norbertcolon

Return to 125 cc