Touring on my 125SM.

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Touring on my 125SM.

Postby witttom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:32 am

I spent most of my day on July 4th, exploring the coastline from the Gulf Shores Alabama area to Gulf Breeze Florida. Since the weather was…. well, hot and humid by Ohio standards, I thought I would be more comfortable riding in shorts and a sleeveless tank. The only gear I took with me was a modular helmet, boots, and gloves. Even after covering myself in sun screen, I still got fried to a crisp.

My first stop was Fort Morgan Alabama, which is West of Gulf Shores. After checking this area out (and getting a ferry schedule), I turned around and headed East.

Riding along the coastline, I was surprised at just how much damage was still visible from Hurricane Ivan from late last year. Some of those areas were totally wiped out. Lots of construction going on too. Not many street signs, or ANY signs for that matter. It was quite common for me to have no idea where I was. Wish I would have taken a GPS with me. Heck, I crossed the Florida state line a long time back before I even figured out that I was in Florida.

Seeing all of the devastation from Hurricane Ivan was really depressing, and I decided I didn’t want to take any pictures of the remains of family homes and lost businesses.

I tried to cross through the Pensacola Naval Air Base but permission denied (on both the West and East entrances) due to my inappropriate attire.

On July 5th, I spent part of the day with a passenger (my 4yr/old daughter) exploring local roads. We had a blast. My little 125 supermoto is the ideal bike for that area, with the exception of the street tires, which offer virtually zero grip in sand! Otherwise, it was perfect. It even ran stronger in the thicker air at Sea Level. I would not have thought it would have made that much difference. If I lived there, I think this would very likely be the only vehicle I would own.

That evening, I lost lots of sleep worrying about my little 125 stuck outside unprotected in Tropical Storm Cindy. I wasn’t even sure if it was going to be there in the morning, but to my surprise, it remained vertical throughout the night. I had tucked it up under my beach house as close as I could and hoped for the best. It did get blasted by a sandstorm, but for the most part came out unharmed. I spent a considerable amount of time that morning washing off the sand and salt, then lubing the chain. The rest of the day was pretty much a washout.

Since I went pretty far East on the 4th, I decide to go West on the 7th. It was originally my intent to just go wherever the roads would happen to take me, but after being gone a while, I thought it would be nice to have lunch on New Orleans. The first leg of my trip involved crossing the Mobile Bay on the local ferry.

This was the first time I had ever taken one of my bikes on a ferry, much less one crossing over a large body of salt water. I just barely caught it before departing. They had already untied it and where beginning to shove off when I approached. They waved me on and I was the last one to board (just barely). The ferry unloaded on Dauphin Island and I rode off from there. I followed the coastline through Biloxi Mississippi and points further West. I crossed more bodies of water than I can remember. It took me a long time following the Alabama and Mississippi coast line and I ended up getting lost somewhere in the SE Louisiana and SW Mississippi Bayou, South of NASA’s Stennis Space Center. I had to consult the map that I picked up at the Mississippi Welcome Center several times to figure out just where I was. I had already been gone too long, so I scrapped the New Orleans idea in favor of turning around and trying to make some decent time on my return route. Before heading back however, I decided I would take the opportunity to pay Slidell Louisiana a quick visit.

Somewhere in SW Mississippi, the 125SM found some new power and I was reaching some top speeds that where previously unobtainable for me. I don’t know how or why, but I was now getting an extra 10mph on top end. With this new ability to travel at what I now considered to be highway speeds, I decided to take I-10 back (70mph speed limit). Not only did the 125SM do quite well and maintain suitable highway speeds, I often found myself passing slower traffic. I came back into the Mobile Alabama area at an odd time and I knew that I was not going to be able to catch the ferry to cross back over. I was not willing to wait an hour and a half for the next one, so I decide to circle the bay. Big mistake. It took nearly two hours for me to make that leg of my trip and I was completely exhausted.

Overall, I was really impressed with the 125SM and have a new appreciation for it. With it only being a 125cc bike and not a lot of luggage space, it is difficult to really tour on it. However, I think I’m going to be trying to tour on it more often in the near future. It’s hard to beat that 80mpg (or 70mpg wide open for two straight hours on the highway).

That was pretty much it as far as my riding in the South went. My vacation was cut short by the threat of Hurricane Dennis and we decided to depart a half a day earlier than the expected mandatory evacuations. A half a day wasn’t enough, and the highways where jammed from the coast all the way to as far North as Louisville. I spend all night taking alternate routes to avoid the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the highways. I left early afternoon Friday and got home at 7am Saturday morning. Man, I’m still tired.
Tom Witt
78 Suzuki GS750 Cafe Racer
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
01 MZ Skorpion 660 Traveller (Sold)
02 MZ 125SM StreetMoto (Sold)
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

touring

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:42 am

Like i said tiny touring is fun
i hope your back in ohio now
The bike will get to running better with more miles
mine did not get loose till 4000 miles
Here is a link to a saddlebag i use stansport #766
works great over seat or gastank on my rt125

The company web page
http://www.stansport.com

Link to page with bags i use
http://www.stansport.com/pdf.single.200 ... 7_2005.pdf
there is a army surplus store in south end of lancaster oh that has some
last traffic light befor leaving town beside LS Sales

i am headed to VMD at mid ohio next week
the plan is to stay at Mt. Gilead State Park
on thursday night
http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/parks/mtgilead.htm

the following week bmwoa at LIMA
ar dave
rt125'ing across OHIO this month
ps how do you do the pictures without the frames like most posts here
Last edited by DAVID THOMPSON on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby phlat65 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 am

very nice story!!! gets me stoked for my 4 day trip in august on the dream..
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Re: touring

Postby witttom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:17 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:The bike will get to running better with more miles mine did not get loose till 4000 miles

Does the rev limiter work in 6th gear? I've hit it on a few occasions in 5th, but never 6th. I kept expecting to see it, but never did. On a couple occasions, I had the speedo just shy of 140kph. I know my speedo is off by about 5% or so (optimistic), roughly.

My idling problem reappeared halfway through my trip, about the same time it found it's new power. Not sure if it is related and I've not messed with it since I've got back home. Almost appears to be a stuck float or clogged idle jet as some mentioned before when I had this little problem previously. I'm still running the stock exhaust after I took PowRoll up on their offer to buy the SuperTrapp back (which by the way, it is now listed on eBay). Honestly, I think the SuperTrapp is crap, but that's just my own personal opinion, FWIW. I have nothing but good things to say about dealing with the PowRoll staff, but I was not impressed with the exhaust system by any means.

on thursday night

ar dave

I plan to head up on Friday evening, camping at Honey Creek. Not sure if I'm staying one night or two. Those plans may change, pending the weather. I was considering riding the 125SM up via backroads but it is WAY overdue for an oil change and feel like I really aughta park it till I get a change to go over everything. So, I guess I'll be taking my Triumph Trophy again. I need to mount a front tire on that one, but I think it'll do ok for the short ride up the highway, as most of the wear it on the outter edges.

Not sure what you mean by frames. I just use the IMG tags and point it to where the images are located.
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Re: touring

Postby mxsteven » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:50 am

nice ride good scenery... Anyway maybe next month i will do a nice trip in malaysia... well my bike is ok now and im almost fully recover from the crash.

after the ride i will take some photo and post it...

by the way it was a nice ride u really did wittom...

witttom wrote:
DAVID THOMPSON wrote:The bike will get to running better with more miles mine did not get loose till 4000 miles

Does the rev limiter work in 6th gear? I've hit it on a few occasions in 5th, but never 6th. I kept expecting to see it, but never did. On a couple occasions, I had the speedo just shy of 140kph. I know my speedo is off by about 5% or so (optimistic), roughly.

My idling problem reappeared halfway through my trip, about the same time it found it's new power. Not sure if it is related and I've not messed with it since I've got back home. Almost appears to be a stuck float or clogged idle jet as some mentioned before when I had this little problem previously. I'm still running the stock exhaust after I took PowRoll up on their offer to buy the SuperTrapp back (which by the way, it is now listed on eBay). Honestly, I think the SuperTrapp is crap, but that's just my own personal opinion, FWIW. I have nothing but good things to say about dealing with the PowRoll staff, but I was not impressed with the exhaust system by any means.

on thursday night

ar dave

I plan to head up on Friday evening, camping at Honey Creek. Not sure if I'm staying one night or two. Those plans may change, pending the weather. I was considering riding the 125SM up via backroads but it is WAY overdue for an oil change and feel like I really aughta park it till I get a change to go over everything. So, I guess I'll be taking my Triumph Trophy again. I need to mount a front tire on that one, but I think it'll do ok for the short ride up the highway, as most of the wear it on the outter edges.

Not sure what you mean by frames. I just use the IMG tags and point it to where the images are located.
Where u go, it's up to u,
Where u ride, it's in ur hand,
What u think, it's in ur mind,
Think b4 u do, Ride safe.

MXsteven
mxsteven

Postby tjchick » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Nice one! I don't know how you could spend that length of time on
the SM125's saddle - I hurt after about an hour!

Regarding the limiter, I worked out top speed given 10,500 rpm
for stock gearing on SM125:

Code: Select all
1st 21
2nd 33
3rd 44
4th 54
5th 65
6th 76

I hit rev limiter in 5th at an indicated 82 mph (134kph), so my speedo
is some 20% to optimistic. To hit max revs in 6th would indicate say
90mph!

I think this is why you have never hit the limiter in 6th! My bikes
top speed on the flat is in 5th not 6th - it just doesn't have the power
to get anywhere near the limiter, even downhill.

Cheers,
Tim
tjchick

Postby witttom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:12 pm

I was gustimating my speedo to be 7%-10% optimistic after riding with a GPS indicating my exact speed. During my past mini-tour of the Southern States, my speedo was just shy of the 90mph mark on a couple occasions. I'm guessing I was close to terminal velocity. Prior to this trip, I rarely saw over 75mph (indicated). It was not uncommon for me to be able to pull a higher MPH in 5th than in 6th.

I'll admit, spending that much time in the saddle... my ass was certainly sore. I would have killed for an Air-Hawk or something similar, just to give me a little relief. :wink:

tjchick wrote:Nice one! I don't know how you could spend that length of time on
the SM125's saddle - I hurt after about an hour!

Regarding the limiter, I worked out top speed given 10,500 rpm
for stock gearing on SM125:

Code: Select all
1st 21
2nd 33
3rd 44
4th 54
5th 65
6th 76

I hit rev limiter in 5th at an indicated 82 mph (134kph), so my speedo
is some 20% to optimistic. To hit max revs in 6th would indicate say
90mph!

I think this is why you have never hit the limiter in 6th! My bikes
top speed on the flat is in 5th not 6th - it just doesn't have the power
to get anywhere near the limiter, even downhill.

Cheers,
Tim
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom