At the end of my tether

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

At the end of my tether

Postby Carpet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 am

Hi everyone this is my first post, and I need your help. I have a TS125 that will not run properly, I've rebuilt the engine and put a new mikuni carb on it, at first it was running for a while then dying but not it will not start at all. I've got spark and fuel but no go :( anyone got any ideas??
Carpet

Re: At the end of my tether

Postby den » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 am

well if you have spark and you have juice then it should run..two things you missed out though,,do you have compression and does the spark-spark at the right time.tdc ok
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby Carpet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 am

Hi, yeah there's good compression and I've checked the timing over and over again but not even a cough :(
Carpet

Postby den » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:05 pm

broken spark plug ? .Ive had them in the past that spark on the tip outside the bike but not inside the bike,what happens when you spray "easy start" in the carb?
den

Postby arry_b » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Plug, plug lead and cap, coil and crank seals can all make the little TSs difficult to start. A strong spark outside of the cylinder doesn't always translate to a strong one under compression.

Is the plug getting damp with fuel when you kick it over?
arry_b

Postby Andy_C » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 am

If you have fuel, a spark at the right time, and good compression logic says that it should start.

This being the case I would first of all try fitting another spark plug, they often seem to spark OK, but under compression in the engine they don't.

If that does not fix it, I would suggest taking the carb off and strip it and check all jets as well as blowing it through with an airline - also check the petrol tap and or any inline filters. Yes I know you say you have fuel getting through, but is it enough / in the right proportions ? a blocked filter and or jet can wreak havoc.
Andy_C

Postby Carpet » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 am

Hi everyone sorry it's taken so long to reply. Thanks for all the posts. I got a couple of new spark plugs so I had a spare and it fire straight away :S still not sure why the other plugs I had stopped working all of a sudden
Carpet

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 am

in the old days mid 1960's the common problem on a 2 smoker was the spark plug

i have had brand new plugs run 20 to 30 seconds and then no more

they would run a briggs lawn mower but not the 2 smoker

where i lived we used LODGE and KLG

but i think there not made anymore

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby den » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:00 am

Carpet wrote:Hi everyone sorry it's taken so long to reply. Thanks for all the posts. I got a couple of new spark plugs so I had a spare and it fire straight away :S still not sure why the other plugs I had stopped working all of a sudden

the spark plugs ceramic cracks internally and the the spark is lost at the tip,it sparks further up the shaft,no good,sometimes only happening when warm too..the resister in the cap also breaks , easy test there is to bypass the cap,,
den

Return to Vintage Motorcycles