[TS150] It never ENDS...front fork parts

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

[TS150] It never ENDS...front fork parts

Postby Agronski » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:24 am

Hi gang,

So, it's happened again - just as I fix one problem with TS, another three come up. Engine was running lumpy because the carb was full of water. Clutch was not adjusted properly. All dealt with. Now the front wheel has a little shimmy in it at high speed, and I thought I would check the front wheel bearings at the same time as replacing the fork oil seals before I try for an MOT.

Had to bash out the stanchions because they were stuck in the headset/triple-T, which means I now have to chase the M30x2 threads inside the stanchions for the end-caps :evil: ...but okay, the forks are off...

...and after snapping one of my screwdrivers trying, I finally got the old fork seals out. Also thought I'd drain and dismantle the forks since I doubt that's ever been done. Followed this great guide:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4069

After I got the M10's off the bottom, the stanchions, hydraulic dampers and guides dropped straight out - wonderful! The little (nitrile?) sealing washers are stiff and cracked. No big deal - cheap to replace them and they're probably 30yrs old anyway. But then, looking at re-assembly diagrams and photos, all I have at the end is the damping washer in the stanchion - no valve-cap, no springs, just the damper piston poking out the bottom (only bit I have is the sealing washer at the far right of this picture: http://s58.photobucket.com/user/hmmmnz/ ... m.jpg.html) - nothing else was in/on/near the end of the shock.

It's a 1979 TS150 - so it has the 35mm forks...could someone have reassembled the forks before I got it and miss off the ENTIRE sealing cap and twin-springs arrangement?! Has someone been very stupid, or am I missing something? Are those parts only on the later ETZ forks? Or is this why my fork-oil has been draining away like water for months and why my front suspension is so chewy?
___
Agronski

Return to Vintage Motorcycles