Guide to 2 strokes

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Guide to 2 strokes

Postby Ohowson » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Can anyone give me a guide to riding 2 strokes?
I know the starting procedure. But I've been told to always carry a spare plug because it WILL oil up. How do I know when it's oiled up? I know I'll need to replace piston rings at some point - once a year? But what else will I need to do/watch out for?
PO said if I leave the fuel on I may flood the crank. What does this mean, how do I know if it's happened, and what do I do if it happens?
He also fitted a voltmeter. What am I looking for and what do I do if it's not that? I presume 12-12.5 at standstill and what 13-.5-14 when running? Is it just to indicate the reg/rec is naff.
It has points. What do they do and how do I check? There was something else he's fitted as a spare "just so I can plug and go if it stops working" - kind of a cylinder and attached to the pints somehow. Any ideas! And again how do I know whether I need to plug it in? (How is another issue!)
Ta :)
Ohowson

Re: Guide to 2 strokes

Postby therealche » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Ohowson wrote:Can anyone give me a guide to riding 2 strokes?
I know the starting procedure. But I've been told to always carry a spare plug because it WILL oil up. How do I know when it's oiled up?

You will kick and kick and kick and get nothing. When you take the plug out it will be black, oily and no spark when you kick the bike over.
The bike won't start!

I know I'll need to replace piston rings at some point - once a year? But what else will I need to do/watch out for?

Ive never replaced rings... unless Ive also replaced the piston because I've worn it out! Last time I did that I had to go up two sizes just to get the wear out the barrel. MZs are tough old things not highly tuned racing machines.

PO said if I leave the fuel on I may flood the crank. What does this mean, how do I know if it's happened, and what do I do if it happens?

If the float valve in the carb isn't seatng properly fuel can leak down and get into the crankcase. If it happens when you kick it over the plug will get wet and not spark. When you take the plug out it will be wet and smell of petrol' With the plug out and then ignition OFF kick the bike over half a doxen times to pump out any fuel. Then fit your new plug and off you go

He also fitted a voltmeter. What am I looking for and what do I do if it's not that? I presume 12-12.5 at standstill and what 13-.5-14 when running? Is it just to indicate the reg/rec is naff.

Never had a voltmeter, never seen a need for them!

It has points. What do they do and how do I check?

The points are opened anc closed by a cam on the end of the crank and are responsible for generating the spark via the coil. What you need is to get a manual for the bike and all this will be explained. There is the Haynes little book of lies, or the works manual avaliable from the MZ Riders Club

There was something else he's fitted as a spare "just so I can plug and go if it stops working" - kind of a cylinder and attached to the pints somehow. Any ideas! And again how do I know whether I need to plug it in? (How is another issue!)

It's a condensor. It is there to supress a spark being produced at the points when they open rather than at the plug where you want it. If the bike starts to misfire, or is difficult to start take the cover off and see if there is the points are arcing, if so fit the new condensor, Just look at how the old one fits, take it off and fit the new one

Ta :)

You're welcome!
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Re: Guide to 2 strokes

Postby Ohowson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks

I'm going to have to invest in some plugs. I'll get them at the same time as I get some spray paint - certainly ain't going to be a pretty bike!
Down side is going to be explaining all this to the wife who will also be riding it. I've only just told her it is a kick start...

You have a lot of bikes! Mine is still in the van - I have no way of unloading it other than reversing it off and it's quite a rise - then I'd have to get it back in for the mot drop off so figured it may as well stay there. Need to find a scaffolding plank...
Ohowson

Return to Vintage Motorcycles