Baggie carb swap options ?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baggie carb swap options ?

Postby STANIMAL » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi guys , I have seen some carb swaps for the Baghira and wanted to know if anyone still made kits or used manifolds from other Yamaha's .
STANIMAL

Re: Baggie carb swap options ?

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:15 am

By manifold, I'm assuming you mean other than stock, like a single carb set up. Nobody sells them anymore but you may be able to find one second hand. As for carbs, you can do some work to the stock carbs, or the recommendation for upgraded carbs would be the Mikuni TM34-B65's .
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 am

Whether or not they fit without modification may be an issue! The Skorpion needs a little work to make the Mikuni's fit if memory serves me correctly.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby STANIMAL » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I just started experimenting with a single carb . I got a mikuni off an XR 650 . So far , just need to install a smaller main jet , after playing with the needle . I will update the thread with pics and final results later this week .
STANIMAL

Postby den » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 am

STANIMAL wrote:I just started experimenting with a single carb . I got a mikuni off an XR 650 . So far , just need to install a smaller main jet , after playing with the needle . I will update the thread with pics and final results later this week .

sounds interesting,,the manifold has always been the biggest stumbling block
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby STANIMAL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 am

den wrote:
STANIMAL wrote:I just started experimenting with a single carb . I got a mikuni off an XR 650 . So far , just need to install a smaller main jet , after playing with the needle . I will update the thread with pics and final results later this week .

sounds interesting,,the manifold has always been the biggest stumbling block
Thats what I thought too , but when you look at it closely , you will see that the right port opens to the entire valve train . Before this all started , my tech and I were standing around an debating the options . He's been a moto tech for 40 years and has seen just about everything . He says '' just block the smaller port '' , and we did , with some plastic cap . installed the carb , and it fired up without a single hesitation . We will machine a proper plug next week . I will see if I can get it properly tuned by friday . I will post a few pics on thursday to give you guys an idea of how and what .
STANIMAL

Postby den » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 am

genius
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby STANIMAL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 am

den wrote:genius
[img]<iframe%20width="480"%20height="360"%20src="http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Stanimal3/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[IMG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a491/Stanimal3/photo25_zps47007eee.jpg[/img]ImageImageImageImage[/img]S you can see, the carb lines up perfectly . I will get an old radiator hose for an intake boot and just feed it into the airbox . I want all of my mods to be reversible , dont like to butcher rare parts .
STANIMAL

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 am

Uhhhhh. That seems like a really bad, last option type of idea. It's creative, I'll give you that much, but did this project start off as an idea to improve performance or just to find the cheapest way possible to make the bike run again? Surely you don't expect enough fuel air mixture to make it through the crossover port in the reverse direction to adequately supply the plugged up side. It will probably run but the stock carbs are very capable when tuned properly and a vastly better option than what I see here. Just my opinion. :wink:

At least do it right if you are going for best performance for dollars spent and buy a dirt cheap used carb, or a new Chinese scooter carb to go on the other side. Anything is better than nothing at all to keep the flow in the crossover port going in the right direction. Without writing a novel, it's a very, very bad idea to attempt what you are talking about without at least doing some porting work. The air trying to get around that tight radius will cause a traffic jam, for lack of a better term, and decrease overall flow into the middle intake valve, leaving you with only one valve getting a proper, well mixed fuel air supply. So if you want anything other than just a bike that gets down the road, I hope you rethink your approach. Good luck and thanks for coming up with a way to get by on one carb in an emergency.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby STANIMAL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:53 pm

I plan to machine a plug long enough to plug the port as flush as possible . I am picking up what you're putting down , but I really want a reliable alternative . My dual carb setup just doesnt want to work properly . My next experiment will be an FI conversion , if this doesnt pan out .
STANIMAL

Postby STANIMAL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

BTW , look into the large port closely , its all open in there .
STANIMAL

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 pm

I know what the inside of these heads looks like. But unless you stop the reverse flow through the crossover port, the air rushing into that port will have to make a turn that is almost 180 degrees, causing a rather large area of turbulence and deceleration. Not good conditions to have in your already compromised intake design. Are you familiar with venturi effect? If you are going to run just one carb, I suggest blocking the crossover port from the inside. Plug it with JB weld or whatever the appropriate epoxy would be. You can always remove it.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby STANIMAL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Just installed a smaller main jet and raised the needle . So far , runs really good . I'll make a proper block off plate tomorrow or saturday and report back .
STANIMAL

Postby m4panther » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:29 am

If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby samandkimberly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 am

I think what you're doing is crazy, inefficient, and *great*. It's off the wall enough that it will be hard to predict how it will work once you've sorted it out, but is sounds like its working. My bet is that you'll get good torque/midrange, and for street riding top end is highly overrated. Keep letting us know how it works!

If you're looking for more even low end response I would play with a longer inlet - maybe putting some tube between the carb and head.

Sam
samandkimberly

Next

Return to 660 cc