baggy 660 carb tune kit

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: baggy 660 carb tune kit

Postby den » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:37 am

well i must re quote my last post but with an added smile,, i took my bike out for a long run and can say what a pleasure,theres definitely a smoother ride and acceleration .there is a problem with the jetting bet the kit supplied two other jets so ill change it out,,the point between when the main carb needs the second carb to cut in is way out even though i've synced it to open closer,(any ideas?)..

so im looking for a tip here to save a lot of time reading up again,,
sooty endcan,,slight pop when turning bike off??,,
is this jets up or down or needle up or down,,
cheers midears
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby duncmac » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Is there any difference between the bikes running in the morning vs the afternoon?

I ask because mines mint in the morning, perfect, like a sewing machine.

But in the afternoon its not good at low speeds in traffic and feels a bit down on power on a run.

Tried turning in the fuel screw and its not helped that much.

I've not checked the float height, I think its too high and will get round to checking once I've got my hands on the right bit of pipe.

Also, I put in a new (oiled) airfilter the other day, ran great in the morning but even worse in the afternoon, checked it when I got home and I hadnt located the air filter bar in the hole in the airbox, so it wasnt covering the bottom inch of the intake, might be worth double checking its located right.
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
CBR 600 FY 2002 - Tri colour
Vespa T5 172 Malossi - Old English White
duncmac

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Generally cooler, denser air in the morning giving more power?
breakwellmz

Postby duncmac » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 am

Yeah I get that, but its really chalk and cheese.

Think its the float height.
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
duncmac

Postby den » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:33 am

duncmac wrote:Yeah I get that, but its really chalk and cheese.

Think its the float height.

is morning and afternoon the same as first run and second run , has the bike already been used before the afternoon run??
bikes generally don't know what time of day it is..atmospheric pressure changes slightly like the wind and outside temp changes from morning to afternoon but only a few degrees,,normally i would expect bikes to behave badly in the morning because of damp and dew on the electrics,,if you bike runs nasty when its hot the you got to think about how things soften when hot and how metals expand , tolerances disappear and lead to erratic running,it may be as something as simple as a fuel line gets a kink in it when hot but straightens out when cold,,i rubber seal in the carb seats great when cold but leaks when hot,,your carb rubber manifold my hide a leak when cold but when hot and floppy allow air in engine through a crack..take a long step back and look at the bigger picture,
drain your tank completely until bone dry and use fresh fuel, check fuel cap rubber
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 am

Valve clearances?
breakwellmz

Postby duncmac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:28 am

Its from cold, as in first use in the AM and then second use in the pm 7-8 hours apart.

Only change I've made recently is the new airfilter, and tweaking the fuel screw in (tried this previously but made it too lean)

Since the airfilter fix things are much better and I've turned in the FS 22degrees more without it feeling too lean at idle.

I think the filter wasnt fully seated previously

Going to need to check the level of the float and then look at the jetting.

Saying that its now much beter in the pm, hardly farting and banging compared to before.
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
duncmac

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk