Left the key in ignition, now won't start

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Left the key in ignition, now won't start

Postby Mozeley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:55 am

Hey Guys,

I've got a problem with my MZ RT 125.

I accidently left the key in the ignition over the weekend. On Monday I tried to start it, and it sounded like the battery was very flat. I tried again and it didn't start, then the third time I tried to start it, nothing happened at all. I press the Start button but there's nothing, it doesn't even try to start. Also, the neutral light doesn't come on. I re-charged the battery, but it's still exactly the same problem.

Any ideas? Maybe the starter motor is bust?

Cheers
Mozeley

Re: Left the key in ignition, now won't start

Postby djsbriscoe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

Hi,
Try the following.
1/ Remove the battery from the bike and charge it for longer, also check the water level while your at it. What kind of charger are you using?
2/ While the battery is removed try and borrow another one (fully charged) off someone and try again.
3/ If none of this works let us know and we will take it from there.

David
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby Mozeley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 am

Hey David,

Thanks for that.

I charged the Battery for over 24 hours. Should be ok, right? At least expect to have some action from the Starter motor?

It's actually a Car Battery Charger - it worked last year when my battery went flat then. The Battery itself is just over a year old - I guess it could be totally gone, though. How do I check the water level?

Thanks,
Mozeley

Postby djsbriscoe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi,
The water level should be visible from outside the battery if the battery casing is transparent/opaque.
There is usually a maximum and minimum marking, if so make sure the water level is above the minimum level.
If the battery is not transparent, remove the filling plugs and check with a torch if you can see water covering the top of the battery plates.
Ideally you should use distilled water to top up the battery, but tap water is OK in an emergency.
Once you have done this you need to test the battery output assuming it is charged and there is sufficient water/electrolyte in it.
To test the battery.
a/ If you have a voltmeter/multimeter measure the voltage at the terminals. If you don't have a multimeter buy one, they are very useful.
b/ Get 2 pieces of insulated copper wire and a car/motorcycle bulb and IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA connect the bulb in series with the battery to test if there
is enough current to light the bulb.Alternatively place the body of the bulb against the negative or positive terminal and connect the free end of a wire connected to the remaining terminal to the contact on the bulb. MAKE SURE THE TWO BATTERY TERMINALS DON'T SHORT TOGETHER WITH THE WIRES OR SERIOUS DAMAGE TO BOTH YOURSELF AND THE BATTERY WILL OCCUR. IF IN DOUBT JUST USE A READILY WIRED UP 12V INSPECTION LAMP OR THE MULTIMETER AS ADVISED EARLIER (HEALTH AND SAFETY NOTICE ENDS).
A quick check is all that's needed (the bulb will get very hot).

Tell us what the results are and then we can see what needs checking next.

David
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby watchnut79 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Hey There,

Almost the same thing happened to me last week. I stopped for gas (petrol) and flipped the ignition off, leaving the key in. Then I flipped it back on and there was nothing, no lights, no power, nothing at all. I parked it and came back after work and it worked fine. So I was baffled. Then a few days after it sat in my garage, I flipped the ignition on and it didn't work again. I charged the battery (which was low) and it still wouldn't flip on. Then I did the following. I flipped the key into the parked lock position with the parking lights on. This is the position all the way to the left. After which the parking lights came on. Then when I went back to the right to the on position it worked fine. I suggest going to the locked parking lights position and see if it works there. For some reason this seemed to reset the issue, but I suspect that its some sort of electrical short. It might be that the battery is low on water.

Jonathan
watchnut79

Postby Mozeley » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Hey everybody,

Thanks for your help with this one - it turned out to be a blown fuse - it's now fixed.

Thanks,

Moze.
Mozeley

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:21 pm

this group of posts is an example of why i am less tham impressed with the electrical systems
on modern bikes
none of this should be happening to bikes that are all less than 8 years old
unless they have been wrecked or badly treated
if your bike sets out side all the time make a rain cover for the key switch
and the gas tank lock also lube the tank lock with silicone lube before parking it for several weeks
mine was a beast to unlock last spring after setting from dec 4 2007 till early may 2008

and do not forget the starter relay i have had 2 of them die the big contacts go bad
because of the high current draw of the starter..... it still switches but no current to starter motor
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 125 cc