stronger shift lever

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

stronger shift lever

Postby BakBer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am

Hey guys. I did some off road riding this weekend and bent my shift lever many times :roll: Does anyone know what more common bikes share the same shaft dims for the shift lever so that I can upgrade to something that is stronger than sheet metal.
BakBer

Re: stronger shift lever

Postby Drew » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am

I'd recommend a set of bark-busters/hand guards. I'm running a set of Acerbis Rally Pros.

One problem you may run into is that the stock bar has an anti-vibration damper running through the hollow tube. It can be extracted (although mine I was only able to do after some great difficulty). I decided that I wanted to replace it anyways, so I went with a Tag bar. If you go this route, you'll need new grips too, and have a drill handy to fit the left control assembly.
Relax. You'll live longer.
Drew

Postby BakBer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:04 pm

LOL...i'm talking about the foot shift lever. Not the clutch. I have Cycra Pro Bend hand guards.
BakBer

Postby Drew » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 am

lol doh! Mental lapse there! I read "shift lever" and processed it as "clutch lever". :smt075
Relax. You'll live longer.
Drew

Postby BakBer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:01 pm

:?: I guess this means nobody has any suggestions...
BakBer

Postby aah5 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 am

Trouble is if you get a stronger lever,you end up bending the shifter shaft and thats a lot harder to replace,been there done that,broke the shaft at the circlip groove where it enters the case. Grab a couple of original items and take one as spare when offroading.I always have spare brake and clutch levers in my jacket pockets when riding even on the road. Bike only needs to fall over on soft ground and 'oops' there goes alever.
aah5

Postby BakBer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 pm

That has to be the best idea I've heard all week.
BakBer

Postby manumensa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:59 pm

¡Hello!

I agree with aah5, the soft lever is an advantage not a disadvantage.

For clutch and brake lever today a lot offroad aftermarket. In the past motocross pilots try prevents broke levers screw the mounting clamp bolt only with enought torque, no more, the hit roll the levers and don´t broke its. Valid for road also; and we can add a notch with a triangular file in the lever debilitating at this point the lever (aprox. 3 or 4 cm. from the "lever ball"). In a great percentage we lift the bike and ride again in seconds.

Best Regards, Manuel.
The answer is blowin' in the wind...no wind no answer :(
manumensa

Return to 125 cc