Starting problem

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Starting problem

Postby Jamie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help with the camshafts, problem i have now is there does not seem to be enough suction to draw the fuel into the cylinder, got a good spark and compression, bike starts with Easystart, but stops when easystart runs out.

Is there a vacuum valve on these engines?
May have to get rid of the in line fuel filter, because it looks as though the fuel is running upwards, or rather it isn't at the moment.

Any ideas??

Jamie
Jamie

Re: Starting problem

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:19 pm

THE 125 CC MOTOR is hard to start after it has set for a while
i put a small hose in the rubber stopper on the top of air intake at the carb and inject about 10 cc of fuel past the carb slide into the rubber intake area in front of carb
take hose out try starting bike full and closed throttle hoping it will draw enough vacuum to prime the carb
this will usually work may take more than once
dave
but also check plug and see if it is dry or wet
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Jamie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks Dave, worked a treat finally.

I have finally rebuilt the bike after buying it with a slight tapping noise :oops: , which turned out to be coolant in the gearbox oil, so stripped it down, replaced head, base, and carburettor gaskets, finally got it running, did 9 Km, got back home only to find that there is NEW coolant in the NEW gear box oil, so looks like i will have to rip it all down again to check if its the water pump. :smt005
Do you have any other suggestions as to the cause?
You seem to know these engines inside out. :idea:

Jamie
Jamie

Postby djsbriscoe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi,
Before refitting the cylinder head did you check it with a straight edge to make sure that the head is not warped? A warped head can cause the cylinder head water channels to leak water into the oil feed channels in the cylinder block.Did you tighten the cylinder head bolts in the correct sequence and to the specified torque as described in the service manual? After you took the bike for a run where the radiator and hoses hot? If they where maybe the water pump is OK. I'm not sure how a clicking noise can be indicative of a problem with the coolant in the engine/gearbox oil. Maybe the clicking noise is something else.
Buy yourself a mechanics stethoscope so that you can try to locate where the tapping noise is coming from. But the main priority is finding where the water leak is. Good luck.

David.
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby Drew » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Sounds like you may have either a clogged carb or a vacuum leak. Re-check all your carb connections between the carb and the motor, and if that isn't helpful, time to clean the carb!
Relax. You'll live longer.
Drew

Return to 125 cc