MZ 125 UPGRADE GUIDE TO 150CC KIT

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ 125 UPGRADE GUIDE TO 150CC KIT

Postby iskarin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:04 am

Guys m planning to upgrade my bike but don't know where to start, where to get, dunno how much is the budget and Where their website is?. Highlight me on what i could do or which part of this bike that can be upgrade or modify to increase the engine capability or performance. Go through a few topic on upgrade but i m just a beginner so if possible i need to get as much info as possible before getting my hands on any of the kit. Oh ya if anyone can share their experience on having any of the upgrade in terms of fuel consumption, topspeed or any pro and cons after the changes done in their machine are really 100X appreciated..
- Ride With Me -
:smt096 MZ 125 SM
iskarin

Postby micheleen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:59 pm

I'll come back with details when I get time, but you could

1. fit 150cc kit
2. replace air filter (and modify airbox)
3. fit 28mm carb
4. fit aftermarket exhaust
5. retime camshaft
6. replace ignition box to rev to 13200 rpm ( no idea if the 150cc kit would cope with this though)
7. alter gearing
8. fit gas-flowed head

these are not in any particular order and certainly not cheap if you go for a few of the mods.
What do you want to achieve ? Quicker acceleration, higher top speed or what ?

Cheers, Mike
micheleen

Postby iskarin » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:56 am

Well since m gonna use it more on the city highway so TOPSPEED is the 1st priority but if there is any side adjustment or upgrade that i can do without have to spent so much thats really help. (The main stuff is the 150cc KIT) Just a lil bit more doesnt hurt i guess.
- Ride With Me -
:smt096 MZ 125 SM
iskarin

Postby micheleen » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:09 am

Well the 150cc kit will not on it's own raise the top speed. It should however make it easier to pull max revs in top gear. To actually raise the top speed you'll have to either change the gearing or increase the rev limit.

Ksports do alternate rear sprockets so you could try changing to a smaller one. The standard rear is 49 tooth. You don't want to go too small though as the engine still needs to have the power to pull the higher gearing :wink:

MZFaber do a racing ignition box (Zundbox in german) which will let the engine rev higher, but you'd need to check that the 150cc kit can handle the higher revs without exploding :shock:

Hope this helps, Mike
micheleen

Postby jbthumper » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:36 pm

just curious....will the CDI w/ higher rev help the engine??
because it's a scrambler and the engine was designed for low rev power,wasn't it??will going any higher help??

can someone clearify??
jbthumper

Postby micheleen » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:05 pm

Peak power is developed at 9000rpm which isn't really low revs. As far as I can make out the racing CDI was developed for the Sebring Youngster Cup series so racers could scream up to a higher redline through the gears (and probably run lower gearing than stock). It can't help the engine pull a higher gear since it isn't increasing power but on a long downhill/strong following wind you'll have a higher top speed simply because you won't hit the rev limiter so early.

Cheers, Mike
micheleen

Postby ptong » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:38 pm

Hey there all,

here's my input plus a couple of questions.

I have recently fitted the 150 kit with great success and find it boosts the power throughout the gear range which is nice :lol: . i also dropped the front sprocket and replaced with a 15 and am about to rejet and work on the timing with a kit i bought from ksports as micheleen mentioned in the above post. This will apparently boost power again...I guess we'll see.

I have considered the 28 carb upgrade but without any significant modifications besides the 150 kit i figured it wouldnt make any difference...any thoughts? As well would love to know if the am cdi would work with the 150... not so keen on exploding :shock:

My question is that i am about to replace my rear disc brake pads, having done it with on a previous bike and had a b**ch of a time does anyone have any advice on how to make it easier?

umm... thats it I think... all advice and comments are greatly appreciated, Oh and this is a great site I always read with interest.
ptong
ptong

Postby jbthumper » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:58 pm

micheleen wrote: It can't help the engine pull a higher gear since it isn't increasing power but on a long downhill/strong following wind you'll have a higher top speed simply because you won't hit the rev limiter so early.

Cheers, Mike

oh...never crossed my mind... :oops: :-D
Thanks Mike!

ptong,for the brakes...for brake pins, loosen the brake pin "caps" using wd-40 or something equievelent,take out calipers,take out pins,wipe brake pistons with cloth(w/wd-40),then wipe dry,apply greace,loosen the brake fluid resevoir and start pushing those brake pinstons slowly and evenly,close the resevoir cap and install everything else as usual. Hope this helps.

and
my question on the 28mm carb too...because our motos are on high compression pistons...they can't really burn too much petrol,right?it was design for high power n fuel economy,right??
right??right??right?? :lol:
jbthumper

Postby jayded1 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:38 pm

jbthumper wrote:
micheleen wrote: It can't help the engine pull a higher gear since it isn't increasing power but on a long downhill/strong following wind you'll have a higher top speed simply because you won't hit the rev limiter so early.

Cheers, Mike

oh...never crossed my mind... :oops: :-D
Thanks Mike!

ptong,for the brakes...for brake pins, loosen the brake pin "caps" using wd-40 or something equievelent,take out calipers,take out pins,wipe brake pistons with cloth(w/wd-40),then wipe dry,apply greace,loosen the brake fluid resevoir and start pushing those brake pinstons slowly and evenly,close the resevoir cap and install everything else as usual. Hope this helps.

and
my question on the 28mm carb too...because our motos are on high compression pistons...they can't really burn too much petrol,right?it was design for high power n fuel economy,right??

I don't know....I haven't increased carb size but I have rejetted the carb and modified the air box...result better performance but increased fuel
consumption.
Just my humble observations. :lol: :shock:
125 sx
In Bermuda
jayded1

Postby jbthumper » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:19 am

I did that trick too... :smt023
but does the TMcarb(flat slide) comes with an air screw??
anyone got any idea??
jbthumper

Postby ptong » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:11 am

thanks for the tips,

also when you say you modified your airbox, did you replace it with another air filter of some kind or did you modify the actual airbox?
ptong
ptong

Postby jayded1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:31 am

ptong wrote:thanks for the tips,

also when you say you modified your airbox, did you replace it with another air filter of some kind or did you modify the actual airbox?

Simply pull the "fingers" off under the seat and put in a high flow filter in
don't actually modify the box....

good luck
125 sx
In Bermuda
jayded1

Postby micheleen » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:40 pm

jbthumper wrote:my question on the 28mm carb too...because our motos are on high compression pistons...they can't really burn too much petrol,right?it was design for high power n fuel economy,right??

The 28mm carb will drop your fuel consumption some, after all a bigger carb is there to let more petrol/air mixture into the cylinder.

Cheers, Mike
micheleen

Postby micheleen » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:46 pm

jbthumper wrote:I did that trick too... :smt023
but does the TMcarb(flat slide) comes with an air screw??
anyone got any idea??

If you mean a screw to alter the idling mixture then yes there is one (if I remember right it's on the underneath of the carb). To adjust the mixture anywhere else in the rev range you have to raise or lower the needle jet for mid (1/4 to 3/4) throttle adjustment and change the main jet for full throttle adjustment.

Cheers, Mike
micheleen

Postby ptong » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:58 pm

"Simply pull the "fingers" off under the seat and put in a high flow filter in
don't actually modify the box.... "

I need to have a look at the fingers as I can picture them, but I can't picture how or what you could fit in there as a high flow filter?
ptong
ptong

Next

Return to 125 cc